As the weather heats up this summer, you may be inclined to switch over to cold-brew coffee to get you going in the morning! The good news is, you don’t have to miss out on enjoying the same great flavor of your favorite Muddy Waters coffee. You can actually cold-brew our coffee yourself, in your home.
Cold-brewed coffee should not be confused with iced coffee! Iced coffee is typically brewed hot and poured over ice, a very fast process which requires coffee to be brewed stronger to compensate for the flavor dilution from the ice. It also tends to be more bitter.
Cold-brewed coffee, is a much longer, slower brew process that can take anywhere from 18 to 24 hours. The gentler infusion process makes for a sweeter, smoother flavor without any of the bitterness of ice coffee.
If you want to make your own cold-brew at home, here’s how to do it:
- Grind your coffee of your grinder’s most course setting
- Place your grounds in a large jar, and add cold water at a 1:8 coffee-to-water ratio
- Stir, and allow to sit for 18 to 24 hours (usually easiest to do this overnight)
- Strain into a large bowl to remove the larger grounds, strain back into jar, and repeat several times until little-to-no residue remains at the bottom of the pour
- Serve over ice, and add milk and sugar if you like!
- If stored properly, your cold brew can keep for up to a month because of its low acidity!